01 May 2008

Buy My Book

How's that for a shameless plea?

I've FINALLY self-published the first part of the Peach Fuzz story -- the only part I know to be true. You can see it here: Wrong Way Peach Fuzz: A Turtle Tale

First, meet Peach Fuzz, Jordanna (Anna) and Kirsten, the morning Peach Fuzz had her nifty new satellite transmitter attached. She was ready to get away from the two of us!



Right now, I'm working on a new book about her hypothetical path from egg to adult. While this story is based on the real world challenges, dangers and obstacles that hatchlings and maturing turtles face, it's not an actual observation of Peach Fuzz. Jordanna and I were privileged to watch Peach Fuzz in her first nesting year, but we weren't studying sea turtles when Peach Fuzz hatched twenty or thirty years earlier. Maybe someday we'll be able to follow an actual hatchling through all life stages, but that's a life's work as turtles may live as long, or longer, than humans!

The second book is all conjecture, based on observed behavior, deaths, strandings, etc. of other individual sea turtles. As I blog tonight, I don't even have a working title, maybe something silly like "Peach Fuzz: The Early Years", but it would only be a name to facilitate organizing my word file :) I've wanted to tell this story since I started writing "Wrong Way Peach Fuzz", but wasn't sure how to approach it. I just thought it made sense to keep Peach Fuzz as the main character to allow those who've already fallen in love with her to see her life history. While no one has yet followed a turtle from nest to nesting, there's plenty of info in the primary and gray literature to create a very plausible picture. I'll let you all know when the book is ready, but it won't be before fall.

Happy reading... and writing!

No comments:

International Coastal Clean-Up!

The 2008 Coastal Clean-Up on Santa Rosa Island was a great success, but we can work together to make everyday a Coastal Clean-up Day... Help us keep our beaches beautiful!

For details on the 2009 coastal clean-up efforts in Pensacola or in your area, or other ways you can help, click here.

Hello World!

Hello World!
Which way to the sea?