12 May 2008

Gardens and Beach Lights



It's so unusual to have a weekend during sea turtle nesting season, but I'm enjoying the very sane pace of life it creates. I have time to enjoy Florida a little, to plant a garden with my roommate. I'm learning a lot since I haven't gardened since I was about 12. I didn't know you had to treat the soil with lime and let it soak in for a few days -- it makes that 'instant gratification' thing hard when you just want to see your plants in the ground! Check out the rosemary Lisa already had growing! It seems to love the sandy soil.



My little plants don't look like much yet, but just check back in a month -- this is Florida, and the sun and water are abundant. The trellis is for the green beans and snow peas -- with farmer's markets hard to find around here, we're just creating our own :)

Wiley seems to love the garden and sunshine...



and baby carrots (how strange is that?). He really likes them!



It's wonderful to have a weekend just to enjoy the sun and nature that makes Florida such a lovely place to be this time of year.



Being the turtle geek that I am, I did stop by the office. In my defense, I had to ensure that plans were in place for our lighting survey tonight -- it was really the only night to schedule it. We have to borrow a vehicle from the Santa Rosa Island Authority (SRIA) since we're surveying their beach. It's one of the problems with having Mondays off -- I'm out of the loop over the weekend 'cause everyone else is off and Mondays are days to get back in touch. Oh well -- I'll make it work!

No comments:

International Coastal Clean-Up!

The 2008 Coastal Clean-Up on Santa Rosa Island was a great success, but we can work together to make everyday a Coastal Clean-up Day... Help us keep our beaches beautiful!

For details on the 2009 coastal clean-up efforts in Pensacola or in your area, or other ways you can help, click here.

Hello World!

Hello World!
Which way to the sea?