05 May 2008

Plovers Everywhere!

Today was the first day of the statewide snowy plover (Charadrius alexandrinus) census in Florida. Mark called me early this morning to ask me to come in on my day off... that's what happens when you answer emails first thing in the morning, including responding to your boss! I need the time though, and the OT is good too.

It's been awhile since I've done a complete SNPL survey -- we did a lot of LETE (least tern) last Thursday, and I did as much SNPLing at Perdido Key as possible Saturday before the storms blew in, but I haven't seen an entire beach since I came back last week. Today was the first, and it was the mother of all beaches -- Santa Rosa. It's a huge beach with lots of habitat for plovers. There aren't that many SNPL nests, but there are a lot of SNPLs and it's a banner year for WIPLs (Wilson's plover) too. I thought it would take two or three hours, but it took all day! It was great to be out and about though, and there were several snowy family groups. They always make me smile -- those little puffballs of tiger down tripping over their own feet and hiding in footprints are hilarious.

I'm really enjoying being back at the park. It was good to spend time with my Mom, but I lose myself there. I feel forced to fit the roles everyone wants for me, and forget what's important to me. In time, I get confused and start losing myself. I don't meet society's expectations for me -- I should be married with 2.4 kids, working a job that I have no passion for, just trying to get by. Instead, I am alone in my life, following my dreams and working towards what I hope will be a wonderful future. I just hope it won't be alone.

No comments:

International Coastal Clean-Up!

The 2008 Coastal Clean-Up on Santa Rosa Island was a great success, but we can work together to make everyday a Coastal Clean-up Day... Help us keep our beaches beautiful!

For details on the 2009 coastal clean-up efforts in Pensacola or in your area, or other ways you can help, click here.

Hello World!

Hello World!
Which way to the sea?