08 May 2008

The final day of plover state surveys...

I had the most amazing quote in my email inbox this morning that pretty much sums up the lessons I learned over the past five weeks while in Delaware, and after my return to life at the park:

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus



After so long in the depths of my experience, it's great to find that I really do have that light within. Sometimes, I just need the reminder, and a little more work. Now, back to the plovers :)

Monica and I finished our state of Florida surveys today. I did find another hatching nest...



No matter how many times I see a chick hatching, running around or hiding in the grass, I never get enough of it.



They really are too cute, and their parents are so fiercely protective. What amazing little bird brains -- we could learn a lot from their dedication to life and offspring.



Isn't it odd how much they look like their shells?

No comments:

International Coastal Clean-Up!

The 2008 Coastal Clean-Up on Santa Rosa Island was a great success, but we can work together to make everyday a Coastal Clean-up Day... Help us keep our beaches beautiful!

For details on the 2009 coastal clean-up efforts in Pensacola or in your area, or other ways you can help, click here.

Hello World!

Hello World!
Which way to the sea?