07 May 2008

Plover Chicks

Being the very lucky lady that I am, I had a chance to see wee snowy plover chicks at work today. Two had just hatched, and their sibling in the egg wasn't very far behind. I don't think I was their parents favorite person today, but I was compelled to take a few pictures -- who knows if I'll ever have the chance again?



I didn't put anything in for size comparison, but the little guys are not much larger than cottonballs with little matchstick legs. They are so perfect, so tiny, so full of life. What a challenging day it must have been for them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In the course of my long walk/pushing my bike back from Pickens today, I also discovered one of these 'little dudes' crossing my path. He wasn't more than a few feet from my feet. I watched him for a moment while he jabbed at the bugs occupying a dead ghost crab. Finally he noticed my presence and hurried along as fast as those "black matchstick" legs could carry him over the tracked-out sand. Curiously, it was just the little dude all alone in the seemingly deep trenches of the vehicle tracks. No mother or other around.

Jk™

International Coastal Clean-Up!

The 2008 Coastal Clean-Up on Santa Rosa Island was a great success, but we can work together to make everyday a Coastal Clean-up Day... Help us keep our beaches beautiful!

For details on the 2009 coastal clean-up efforts in Pensacola or in your area, or other ways you can help, click here.

Hello World!

Hello World!
Which way to the sea?