03 May 2008

Sunrise and Stormfronts

Today was my first turtle patrol for the season. There weren't any nests, but it was a fantastic start to my weekend, riding a cranky gator through seven miles of sugar sand into the sunrise. It was a cloudy morning, and the pinks, purples, blues and grays as the sun rose were stunning. I didn't think to take out my camera -- I was just enjoying the first day on the beach.

Least terns and black skimmers have started to set up shop again in the old Five Flags hotel site, which means construction will be postponed til nesting season is over. That's better for the turtles anyway. There were at least 100 terns, but only about 12 skimmers, flitting around, settling on the beach, rising with each passing beachcomber. An idyllic morning, if a bit breezy.

I headed out to Perdido Key to check on snowy plover and least tern nests, but the weather got the better of me. I really don't mind getting drenched on a warm day, but day-old plover chicks and incubating eggs may not tolerate the heat loss that comes from being wet. I convinced myself I left early because of them, but it was nice to escape the gathering storm. I was almost out of work time by then anyway -- when turtle patrols start at 5, it seems as if there's little time to get the rest of your work done, and there is so much to do! We have three beaches of nesting birds, at least two strandings reported this week (a dolphin and a sea turtle), turtle patrols on Pensacola Beach, gearing up for turtle patrols on all three beaches in about a week, lighting surveys, meetings and talks, and a million other things. I love my job, but I'm tired just thinking about it! I need to remember to take time to have a little fun!

In that vein, I'm done with this post :)

No comments:

International Coastal Clean-Up!

The 2008 Coastal Clean-Up on Santa Rosa Island was a great success, but we can work together to make everyday a Coastal Clean-up Day... Help us keep our beaches beautiful!

For details on the 2009 coastal clean-up efforts in Pensacola or in your area, or other ways you can help, click here.

Hello World!

Hello World!
Which way to the sea?