02 February 2008

Canon EOS XTi vs Nikon D80 vs Canon 40D

I finally made a decision on the digital SLR debate. It took me nearly two months to figure out which camera to buy, so I hope I made the right decision. My little Canon Powershot has been great, but I'm frustrated with the lack of range it offers. I miss so many great shots in the Park because of the limitations of my gear. I can't wait to get my hands on my new camera and get out to the beach! I ordered it on eBay, so it may take a week or two.

I looked at the Canon EOS XTi and the Nikon D80 for a long time, comparing and contrasting. Most review sites give a slight edge to the Nikon D80, but only a slight edge. As a lifelong Canon user, I have lots of Canon lenses and other hardware -- some of the lenses I have for my film slr will work with a digital slr. That said, I've always thought Nikons were superior to Canons, they were just too expensive when I first entered the market, and I didn't do enough research.

I decided to stick with Canon, though I didn't get either of the above cameras... Instead, I went with the Canon EOS 40D. It's far superior to the Nikon D80, more similar to the Nikon D200 or D300. The only thing I didn't get yet with this package is a telephoto lens, though I did get a 300mm zoom -- hope that helps with the birdie pictures! After spending all that cash on the camera and 4 lenses, a telephoto will be insignificant; I'll buy it when I pay off the first!

There will be lots of pictures here soon -- spring is coming, and I'll have a new toy!

No comments:

International Coastal Clean-Up!

The 2008 Coastal Clean-Up on Santa Rosa Island was a great success, but we can work together to make everyday a Coastal Clean-up Day... Help us keep our beaches beautiful!

For details on the 2009 coastal clean-up efforts in Pensacola or in your area, or other ways you can help, click here.

Hello World!

Hello World!
Which way to the sea?