27 August 2008

PIPL Survey at Fort Pickens



Three times a month, we have to do north shore bird surveys on each of our three beaches. Yesterday, I worked on Perdido Key. This morning, after my turtle patrol, I surveyed Fort Pickens... It's such a rough life!




Today, there were feeding egrets



Black skimmers, alternately feeding



and just standing around...



Lesser yellowlegs



Short-billed dowitchers



Long-billed dowitchers



Baird's sand pipers (the one on the right),



some taking flight... they must not like amateur photographers!



It was an all-around gorgeous day at the Gulf Islands National Seashore. Even the Blue Angels seem to agree!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

More birds!!! I love it!

I wish I could do those bird surveys, because you know how much I love the birds.

I have just added the picture of the three Dowitchers as my background. Great pics! That skimming Black Skimmer picture was sweet.

Barrier Island Girl said...

Fabulous shots, Kirsten!

International Coastal Clean-Up!

The 2008 Coastal Clean-Up on Santa Rosa Island was a great success, but we can work together to make everyday a Coastal Clean-up Day... Help us keep our beaches beautiful!

For details on the 2009 coastal clean-up efforts in Pensacola or in your area, or other ways you can help, click here.

Hello World!

Hello World!
Which way to the sea?