13 January 2008

Weekend Work



Though I posted Saturday, it was regarding Friday evenings work -- I'm getting lazy again about posting and the New Year isn't even two weeks old! I promised myself I'd write more, even if it's just here, as kind of a journal of my last 10 months with the National Park Service...



We allow hunting in the park at this time of year -- granted, it's very limited and very regulated, but it's a fun thing for those individuals who choose to participate. I'm not a hunter, and never could be, but I appreciate the respect and knowledge these men (generally) have for the environment. We only allow duck hunting, and I can't imagine being interested enough to sit out on a cold marsh in the early January sun waiting for some birds to fly by.



There are a lot of neat things to see as I drive by, which motivates me to get out there, but it really is too cold to sit still for hours!



These hunters have to know what they're doing -- only certain species are legal, and they have to identify them as they take flight. Don't worry -- great blue herons are NOT hunted -- I just didn't take any duck pictures today.



It's a challenge for me at times when I'm doing a shorebird survey, and I'm a biologist. I enjoy the opportunity to learn from these men, but I could never join their ranks -- I love the sun too much, and don't have the stomach to kill an animal.



That's why I work as a biologist trying to pull several endangered species back from the brink of extinction
These sea turtles are my focus -- even my Mom came down to help for awhile... (notice my natural hair color there under my stunning head lamp :))



Hunting season means more early mornings on the beach for me, even on my days 'off', so I froze all weekend, waiting for the sun to warm the day. Recently, it's been in the 30s in the wee hours, rising to near 70 by noon. It's a challenge to dress! I wear two pairs of pants, rain pants, four shirts, three jackets, a scarf, two hats and three pairs of gloves on the ATV at dawn. Riding through the frosty morning, in a northerly breeze, creating even more wind by driving at ATV is a chilling task! By ten am, I'm already peeling layers off. By noon, my stack of clothes is larger than my backpack. Florida is a little crazy that way!



I love having the time to explore the beach though -- I am truly blessed to be here, even if they can't really pay me :) Just look at that beautiful day!

No comments:

International Coastal Clean-Up!

The 2008 Coastal Clean-Up on Santa Rosa Island was a great success, but we can work together to make everyday a Coastal Clean-up Day... Help us keep our beaches beautiful!

For details on the 2009 coastal clean-up efforts in Pensacola or in your area, or other ways you can help, click here.

Hello World!

Hello World!
Which way to the sea?