29 January 2008

Highlights for Children Hidden Object...

How many Great Blue Herons do you see here?



On such a gray day, it's really hard to pick them out from amongst the branches, isn't it?

I checked on the Great Blue Heron rookery near the fort at Pickens today after my shore bird survey. Every time I thought I was done with my count, another bird took flight as it was startled by a sound, except for this one stoic mama. I have to wonder if she already has eggs in that nest!



There were tons of birds on the north shore, but hardly any on the south. Murphy's Law, since today was a south shore count. Check out my favorite gulls, the little Bonaparte's Gull, hanging out with some ducks. I love the dark winter cheek patch reminiscent of their small breeding season hoods.



The pelicans were holding court on the new pier at the Ranger Station. Can't wait til we can reopen our office there!



Strangely, this group of daisies was on the tide line at the west end -- you never know what will wash in on the tide.



With the freezing temperatures over the last few nights, these have to be fairly fresh. I wonder if someone tossed them overboard.



The ducks didn't seem too chilled by the recent cold snap. After about 5 weeks of hunting, they seem very skittish -- who could blame them? It's Darwinian survival at its best.



As soon as I returned to the fire cache, Mark sent me out to The Dock on Pensacola Beach to check out some 'oil' on the beach.



After looking it over, we think it's some kind of egg or larval marine form, but we really need a dissecting scope to see these a little better.



They almost blend in with the sand!



Anyone know what they are? The color reminds me of all the Portuguese Man O'War we've had recently, though they are smaller than any of them I've seen. We had raisin-size ones a few weeks ago, but not anything as small as a grain of sand.



Even a gray day here is stunning -- check out the Gulf of Mexico.



Guess you can tell I'm feeling better about my uncle. The surgery went well and he should be home in two weeks. I can't believe how stressful it is to watch someone you love go through all of that!

No comments:

International Coastal Clean-Up!

The 2008 Coastal Clean-Up on Santa Rosa Island was a great success, but we can work together to make everyday a Coastal Clean-up Day... Help us keep our beaches beautiful!

For details on the 2009 coastal clean-up efforts in Pensacola or in your area, or other ways you can help, click here.

Hello World!

Hello World!
Which way to the sea?