04 December 2007

Freezing in the Florida Fall

It's 35 degrees this morning. I don't know how low it got last night, but this is ridiculous! Winter doesn't start for three more weeks, and I'm at the beach in Florida. Isn't there a law against that? Maybe I need to move back to Antigua. Suddenly, the pay there seems much more appealing!

I'm not sure what the day will bring yet -- I'm headed out to one of my favorite spots in the park at Perdido Key to try to count plovers. I really should go to Santa Rosa, but maybe I'll have time for that this afternoon. Santa Rosa always has TONS of plovers, even the endangered piping plover on it's wintering feeding grounds. The road crews out on that section make it a little less fun though -- I'm used to being about the only person on the seven mile stretch. Now, I have an audience of a hundred every time I go to the beach to do my job. They must think I'm nuts, riding around on my ATV in the rain, in the wind, in the red tide. I am nuts, because after that, I'll go for a manicure. I am one complicated little woman.

No comments:

International Coastal Clean-Up!

The 2008 Coastal Clean-Up on Santa Rosa Island was a great success, but we can work together to make everyday a Coastal Clean-up Day... Help us keep our beaches beautiful!

For details on the 2009 coastal clean-up efforts in Pensacola or in your area, or other ways you can help, click here.

Hello World!

Hello World!
Which way to the sea?